Tuesday 26 January 2016

Black-bellied Korhaan in Hwange

The Black bellied Korhaan is not a species that we see much here in Hwange  whereas the performances of the Red-crested are quite a common sight. You will appreciate my excitement then when yesterday I went down the road to see if i could see a lion and there performing on an ant-hill was this plucky male.
They make a really beautiful sound described as "Wwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaoooppppp!!!! by a very good friend of mine
Black-bellied Korhaan performing in Hwange



Needless to say that I forgot all about the King of the beasts and took a few images of this guy. It must have been quite a sight in itself because my bean-bag has had a huge hole worn throught the side by the big 400mm lens and I couldn't switch off my truck's engine for fear that it wouldn't start again!!
with popcorn seeds pouring out of the bean-bag i had to open the lens to its max at 2.8 and in rather grey light try and get a fast enough shutter speed to not capture the vibration from the engine.....

A real challenge but I managed to pull it off!

A Hwange rarity

No comments:

Post a Comment